This weekend brings another Record Store Day, a way to support and honor our favorite music-selling establishments. Historically, sales and special deals abound, so get out and support your local brick and mortar store. (Mine is up the street from my house in West Seattle – Easy Street Records).
As for the actual records, some of this year’s Record Store Day exclusives include:
- 2 “Unplugged” live sets from R.E.M.
- LCD Soundsystem’s “Long Goodbye”
- A remastered version of Joy Division’s debut EP
- The new Coldplay song “Midnight” on vinyl. ( A single 12”! Or maybe a 45Rpm??)
- Nirvana’s “Pennyroyal Tea” single will also be available, 20 years after its original release.(It was cancelled in the wake of Kurt Cobain’s death.)
- More: Special Record Store Day items from The Flaming Lips, Linkin Park, Soundgarden, Oasis, Green Day, and Bruce Springsteen.
The full list is available at RecordStoreDay.com
Record Store Day Activities around the globe:
- Jack White will be at Third Man Records headquarters in Nashville on Saturday trying to set the mark for “world’s fastest-released record.” He plans to perform a live version of the title track from his upcoming album “Lazaretto” that morning, cut it directly to acetate, send it out to be pressed, and then have the new 45’s ready to sell to the waiting fans about five hours after the initial performance.
- The Barenaked Ladies, “American Idol” winner Phillip Phillips, former R.E.M. bassist Mike Mills, and Twenty One Pilots are shining lights on Record Store Day, too.
- At Easy Street in West Seattle, Chris Ballew of PUSA and Caspar Babypants, Rose Windows and Screaming Trees will be there.
The full list of participating LOCAL stores in Washington is here.
-Callahan, Jack FM